This humble and straightforward pumpkin cake recipe is for those who love the taste of pumpkin and all those autumn spices.
- 350g (2 1⁄3 cups) raw coarsely grated pumpkin
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 8g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 200g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 180ml (3⁄4 cup) vegetable oil
- a pinch of salt
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 2g (1 tbsp) ground cardamom
- 6g (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2g (1 tbsp) ground nutmeg
- 2g (1 tbsp) ground clove
Grease a 23cm cake tin with baking spray or line it with baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Gently fold the grated pumpkin and walnuts in the dry ingredients.
Beat the eggs and the sugar with an electric mixer until pale and thick.
Mixer still on, drizzle in the oil and gradually add the carrot mixture.
This will only take a couple of minutes.
Pour the batter and spread evenly into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Set aside for an hour to cool.